birding-aus

Dunlin in Victoria

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Dunlin in Victoria
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 12:36:14 -0000

Richard Weatherly tells me he saw a DUNLIN at the mouth of the Curdes River at Peterborough in SW Victoria on Friday 1st November. It was standing among kelp with 3 Hooded Plovers on the seaward side of the bridge. Poor video footage was obtained by his English companions, Michael & Shirley Cross. It was all grey-and-white, very non-descript; i.e. in winter plumage, lacking any brown tones. It flight, showed broad black line down centre of rump and tail and white wing bar. Decurved black bill, shortish black legs. Grey streaking on underparts confined to sides of breast. Ill-defined supercilium. Sanderling was considered and ruled out.

Sounds good. And I was near there yesterday!!!! Rob Farnes is checking it out now. Please let me know if anyone sees it.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136