birding-aus

Migrants and Nomads

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Migrants and Nomads
From: "Doug Holly" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:37:53 +0930
Rainbow Bee-eaters,Red-backed and Sacred Kingfishers have arrived in South
Australia's Riverland over the past month and all are looking at nesting
sites, we recently had a flock of 150 Orange Chats arrive, as yet, no
Crimsons ( to my knowledge). In my ten years of "birding" in the Riverland I
have never seen a Ground Cuckoo-shrike ( there has been a few reports)
yesterday I saw three and today, two, White-browed and Masked Wood-swallows
arrived last weekend, their numbers were down last year and I was worried
because of aerial spraying for locusts in the area the previous year that we
may lose them, but they are back, and I am still here after being sprayed
when returning from my remote area that I look after, I "appeared" out of
the scrub and the pilot radioed to the road block and they came and advised
me to wash my car and van because the spray might remove the paint, they
didn't seem to care about me or the hundreds of Woodswallows, that I had
been looking at, feeding on the 'hoppers".....hmmm hmmm
Doug Holly