birding-aus

Magic Moment

To: <>
Subject: Magic Moment
From: "Anthony Katon" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 23:03:00 +1000
Hello all,
I have just arrived back from Tasmania Today. This was not a birding trip but I did take my binos everywhere I went. I saw most of the endemics except for the Forty-spotted Pardalote.
A magic moment for me occurred at Evercreech forest reserve picnic area, I was watching a male Scarlet Robin harassing a male Flame Robin and managed to see both in the spotting scope at the same time while they were sitting quite close together from a distance of about 30 metres. While watching these two robins for about 15 minutes, I noticed another robin close by, when I viewed it through my binoculars I was surprised to find it was a Pink Robin.
All these were seen without moving more than a few metres from my car.
Has anyone else ever seen three different species of male red robins in the same area at the same time.

Anthony