birding-aus

Escape from the GP!

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Escape from the GP!
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:10:52 +1000
What does any respectable birdwatchyer do when her Island is invading by thousands of buzzing 2-wheelers? ESCAPE!

So, I packed the car and headed east, finding refuge at Yanakie - on the way to Wilson's Prom to do some "research" for my business.  On the way I decided to eat lunch at one of the 'regular' wader's sites Maher's landing on Anderson Inlet.  I've often had mixed luck there but Friday was one of the best.  100+ Eastern Curlews, Black Swan, Pelicans, Pied Oystercatcher, Caspian Tern, Great and Pied Cormorant, White-faced Heron, Pacific and Sliver Gulls, Bar-tailed Godwits and a Welcome Swallow.  I'm sure there were more, but decided to press on.

I called in to the Foster Parks Victoria office to familiarise them with my face - I'd only spoken to them before. Greg Mattingly was the only one in the office at the time but we had a great time pouring over maps of the district and comparing notes about local birding sites. This helped me set my agenda for the next day. I decided to concentrate on finding sites that I'd never seen before, or not with their birding potential in mind.  Therefore ideas of visiting The Prom were scratched and I determined to head further east.

On Saturday (19th Oct) I first explored the Corner Inlet end of Charles Hall Drive, but the wind was so strong even the few swans in the distance were keeping their heads down.  Port Franklin is a delightful little fishing/boating haven, but so windy nothing new showed its head to add to my tally despite braving a 'stroll' along the new boardwalk and tracks near the port.  Next stop was the new bird hide at Toora Beach - a windswept, bleak spot, teeming with waders and terns.  The birdhide did little to shelter me from either the wind or rain which lashed the place, however I did manage to spend some time between telescope, binoculars, notebook and bird books, identifying more Eastern Curlews, Caspian, Crested and Little Tern, Black-tailed and Bar-tailed Godwits, Red-necked Stints, Grey Teal, Black Swan, Sooty Oystercatcher, Sanderling and Little Raven. Very educational!

I then dared to travel along Telegraph Road between Port Welshpool and Alberton.  This narrow, rough track through the unspoilt bush tempted me to stop and sit, an urge I resisted as further treasures were promised.  I must return soon for a more leisurely look.

It was too windy at Port Albert, so I pushed on to McLoughlin's Beach.  Although it was still blowing a gale I couldn't resist the boardwalk over the saltmarsh to the boat ramp. This rashess/ foolhardiness was rewarded with a brief glance of a pair of Striated Fieldwrens investigating each other's calls and Horsefield's Bronze-cuckoo nearer the carpark.  I found my first flock of White-fronted Chats on the foreshore lawn, but the best sight in the area was a Great and a Little Egret in the one view of the telescope at the other end of the town.  I then drove around to the boat ramp and walked acroos the footbridge and through some wonderfully sheltering coastal scrub to the Ninety-mile Beach (southern end).  This gem of bushland was alive with the calls of Yellow Robins, various honeyeaters, thornbills, wrens and Grey Shrike-thrush - great change from all the water-based birds I'd seen all day.

My final call for the day was an attempt to circumnavigate the Jack Smith Game Reserve starting at Woodside Beach.  This proved another exciting drive along tracks used by duck shooters in season.  Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and Red-capped Plovers in the southern arm of the Lake.  I travelled almost up to end of the southwestern arm of the Lake before a Road Closed sign and deep mud forced me to return to Woodside.  One of the best/most unusual sightings for the day was found on the return trip a pair of young and/or female Cicadabirds teased me until I finally got the telescope set up - then they disappeared completely!  By now daylight was rapidly dying, so I headed back to Yanakie.

Sunday morning the wind was still blowing, so after a circuit of the Duck Point walking track where nothing of significance, except a Collared Sparrowhawk, I headed inland to investigate a remnant patch of rainforest at Turton's Creek Falls.  Although the Parks Victoria pamphlet suggested Lyrebirds were in the area I found no evidence to support this.  Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos screeched from the surround pine plantations and I just missed the thrill of having trail-bike riders shattering my isolation.

By this stage I'd had enough.  Rain set in so I headed through the hills back to Meeniyan and Phillip Island.  Two final challenges to my spotting skills lay along the road home. The first was some birds I initially dismissed as yet more Skylarks or Pipits, but once they flew off I noticed they were small parrots of some sort, with bright yellow bodies! Blue-winged Parrots?  The last treasure was a young White-breated Sea-eagle hovering right next to road near Forrest Caves on Phillip Island.  I even got home before The Race was completed, avoiding most of the thousands of bikes and other vehicles leaving my Island Home!

Elizabeth Shaw
Phillip Island.