birding-aus

What hope for the birds?

To: <>
Subject: What hope for the birds?
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:33:00 +1000
Hello all,
I have just come back from a digiscoping practice session trying to photograph
some of the beach-birds 'down the road' at Woody Point, SE Queensland.

After I had been photographing for a short while I saw, out of the corner of my
eye, a young family approaching from behind.
The group consisted of an average looking couple (read into that what you will)
pushing a deluxe pram and leading a restrained dog.

These people were considerate enough to pause near me until I looked up and
visually engaged them.
They enquired as to if I was photographing the birds to which I replied in the
affirmative.
The male person then asked if I was finished as he suggested that if they
continued along the path the birds would be scared off by the dog.

As the conditions for photography weren't perfect and I had sufficient shots for
my purpose I advised him I was indeed finished.
I was, at that stage, reasonably impressed by the man's attitude and really
could not see that the dog, being on a lead, would be a threat to the birds.

I convinced the couple that I was finished and suggested they continue on their
way.
As I packed my gear away I heard the mixed flock of birds flush from their
resting place behind me and so I turned to look.

These 'considerate' people had released their dog and set it onto the birds!!
The couple then stood proudly watching the love of their life as it proceeded to
'playfully' harass the birds.

You may ask why I didn't advise these people of their legal and moral
obligations let alone my opinion of the level of their intelligence.

This area is a designated 'Dogs on leads only' area but the rules are constantly
flouted by some very aggressive 'animal lovers.
In the past I have 'spoken' to such people, however, these days I am more
interested in my own health and well-being to take the risk, particularly when I
am on my own.

Besides, having spent a very disturbed night being kept awake by the substance
affected couple next door (again!!!), the local rev heads and a multitude of
barking dogs, I really was not in a suitable mental condition to have a
philosophical discussion on good and bad, right and wrong or the local laws
pertaining to dogs and the wildlife.

Incidentally, I managed to get a couple of reasonable photos of Silver gulls and
Pied Oystercatchers to add to my collection of 'digiscoped' birds.
So all was not lost, and if I can concentrate on that positive for a while I
might begin to see the world in a slightly better light again.

Cheers
Bob Inglis
Woody Point
SE Queensland