birding-aus

willy wagtail

To: <>
Subject: willy wagtail
From: "Rayleigh Winten" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:07:49 +1000
Have been looking for a bird site to find out if willy wagtails ever build  more than one nest at a time.   Found this address and hope you can put me in touch with someone that might know.

Last year the willy's built one nest under our awning and after the family flew the nest it was blown or thrown down.  This year there are no less than 3 nests along the main beam, each in it's own section between the crossbeams.  We have seen birds working on each of the three but cannot differentiate between them well enough to know how many pairs are involved.   So far I have seen one pair together at the centre nest, but have seen only 3 birds at one time - one on a nest and two on the wing.  Could it be the younger generation coming back to the same site with parents?

I have observed wagtails nesting all my life but this is the first time I have seen  a production line.

Can any one tell me how to differentiate the individuals?   One looks a bit scruffy around the head and one seems to have a different shaped white outline under the tail but very hard to tell when they are nest building at 100 miles an hour.

Rayleigh Winten, Roma Qld