birding-aus

Birding around Orange

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Birding around Orange
From: "Stephen Gross" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 17:33:26 +1000
Well the days here in Orange are now consistently warm(we turned off our heater for good a couple of weeks ago) and it is school holidays - a winning combination for birding. I went for a wander through Mullion Ranges State Forest and the northern section of the Mullion Range SRA this morning. Although much of the state forest is pine plantations, this section in the north-east is excellent woodland with several 4WD tracks plus opportunities for heading over hill and down dale. The only down side was a small encounter with a group of dirt bike enthusiasts. I hadn't actually been to this area before but I found it a very worthwhile birding area. Birds seen included:
Crimson Rosella
Sacred Kingfisher
Spotted and Striated Pardalotes
White Throated Gerygone
Brown, Buff Rumped, Yellow Thornbills
White Naped Honeyeater
Spotted Quailthrush (A LIFER FOR ME - very excited over that one)
Crested Shriketit
Grey Shrikethrush
Rufous Whistler
Olive Backed Oriole