birding-aus

Mount Isa news

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Mount Isa news
From: jilldening <>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 07:33:21 +1000
> The Isa, like most of Oz is having a drought. We only got a few inches during
> the 'wet" season. Lake Moondarra is 1/3 full and the shoreline (on the west
> side) has moved out over 600 metres. Last Saturday I recorded 40 species.
>
> But strangely the number of waterfowl is reducing.  The number of Black Swan
> is down to a 1/10th. I wonder where they are going ?

Hi Bob,

The Pumicestone Passage in SEQld is having its biggest year for swans in the
14 years I have been watching it.  I have been putting it down to the inland
drought, and this looks like evidence pointing in the same direction. The
same goes for Gull-billed Terns, which are a tern of freshwater or coastal
waters. We always have a buildup of swans, ibis, cormorants, spoonbills, and
Gull-billed Terns in winter, but they are still here in October.

Cheers,

Jill
--
Jill Dening