birding-aus

Orange Chats near Jerilderie, NSW (and other news).

Subject: Orange Chats near Jerilderie, NSW (and other news).
From: "Matthew Herring" <>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 23:12:17 +1000
G?day All,

On Saturday (5th Oct), I met up with David Webb out near Jerilderie, southern NSW, and we surveyed four different wetland sites that had water, all of which are used for irrigation storage. This was for the national Australian Painted Snipe search weekend. Unfortunately, and almost inevitably, no Australian Painted Snipe were found but at least two of the sites look promising for later in the season (fingers crossed!!). A total of at least 5 Orange Chats at one of the sites was the best find for the day, yet another one of these inland birds pushed by the drought. David had found these earlier in the week on Wednesday 2/10. A pair of Brolgas at another site looked like they might be thinking about nesting. There were a few waders around, Red-kneed Dotterels (up to 20+), Black-fronted Plover (1), Marsh Sandpiper (2), Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (1), Whiskered Tern (3) and Black-winged Stilt (up to 8), but few waterbirds overall.

I had a great experience with woodswallows on the way home near Urana at a close range of about three metres from the car in a single tree for 20 minutes. There was a minimum of 350, feeding frantically, mostly White-browed but including at least 35 Masked. I got my first Dollarbird for the season at Walbundrie about half an hour later, which is about the latest summer migrant to arrive down here. No sign of any Little Woodswallows, recorded west of Jerilderie on 19/9 by David Bourne, but a few Black-faced and White-breasted Woodswallows around.

Spotted Harriers appear to have moved into the area in force (drought driven ?), with one near Jerilderie and one near Urana on Saturday (5/10), one near Bowna on 4/10 and another on the Hume Hwy near Holbrook on 2/10. Also one near Gerogery on 25/9 and one at Pleasant Hills on 22/9. Six sightings are far more than usual for me in a two-week period.

On Sunday I was delighted to see the Brolga pair about 45 mins west of Albury-Wodonga with their two, very cute, one-month old, foot-high chicks that look like they will make it and fledge, although they still have two months to go. Some Brolgas are still flocking in southern NSW and northern Victoria, which is very unusual for this time of year but a sign of the dry times.

At least one female Black Honeyeater was still present at Galore Hill, Lockhart about a week ago (Bernie & Glenda Datson) but no Swift Parrot sightings since 19/9 (10+ at Walbundrie, Ian Davidson). Summer is as good as here.

Cheers, Matt Herring, Albury, NSW.

Birding-Aus is on the Web at www.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/birding/index.html To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message "unsubscribe birding-aus" (no quotes, no Subject line) to