birding-aus

Little River Gorge

To: <>
Subject: Little River Gorge
From: "Jim Reside" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 08:21:30 +1000
Hello Folks,

Four weeks ago we spent 6 nights camping in the Little River Gorge in East Gippsland whilst surveying for the last remaining colonies of the Brush-tailed Rock-wallabies in Victoria. Probably only 10 or so left in the wild but that's another story. The days were all warm and sunny, the nights were cold with ice crystals forming rings around lunar and the camp was frozen solid in the mornings. Red Wattles, Twiggy Daisy Bush (White and Purple varieties) and Mint Bush were in bloom adding some colour to the slopes of the gorge. We heard a Powerful Owl on one occasion and were regularly serenaded each evening by Owlet Nightjars. We encountered two Lyrebird nests which were occupied by fair sized chicks. The chicks let out an extremely loud chirp as we passed by which when close to one's ear was quite startling. One again has to wonder how they don't all get eaten by the suite of predators inhabiting the gorge, wild dogs, foxes, feral cats, spot-tailed quolls, goannas etc. One thing in their favour is the bulky collection of sticks which forms the nest resembled all the other debris which is perched atop the rock ledges. It is dry rainshadow woodland in the gorge which also stretches north to the border including the Suggan Buggan valley (Philip Veerman mentioned this location some time ago). It is tough environment and not one that would be considered typical of Lyrebird habitat. Their display mounds are usually heaps of not too small rocks perched precariously on the steep slopes. They, and other birds such as Pied Currawongs have this curious habit of hurtling down the mountains just above the treetops with the wings and tails flapping madly behind, seemingly out of control. The rush of air creates quite a loud sound as they hurtle past and you can certainly hear them coming (I may have mentioned this before), it is quite a spectacular air show. Some other birds observed on the trip.

Superb Fairy Wren
Striated Thornbill
White-eared Honeyeater
Crescent Honeyeater (Nests were found in grass tussocks at the base of shrubs)
Pied Currawong
White-browed Scrubwren
Grey Fantail
Golden Whistler