birding-aus

Re: Woody Point Kelp Gull

To: <>
Subject: Re: Woody Point Kelp Gull
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:23:38 +1000
Hello Dick and the other person reading this,

The Kelp Gull is certainly not common around Woody Point (just north of Brisbane
on the Redcliffe Peninsula, SE Queensland, Australia).
The last, and first, official record to my knowledge was in April 1989 when an
Immature individual spent a few days holidaying in the area.
I am not a gull expert but my photos of that bird indicate it was a 2nd or 3rd
year immature.
Perhaps it has grown up and suddenly remembered the pleasant experience it had
stirring up the local birdwatching fraternity and has returned for a second
round.
Today, Monday 30/9/02, I went to the spot mentioned but it wasn't there, of
course.
I will try again during the week; just shows you what you miss out on if you
turn-off from birdwatching during the school holidays.

That particular part of Woody Point has turned up a few 'rarities' over the
years:
- Wandering Tattler (which I didn't see);
- Broad-billed Sandpiper (which I didn't see)
- South Island Pied Oystercatcher (which I did see)
and possibly others.....
....always worth a visit during the wader season.

Kelp Gulls are uncommon in Queensland but there have been sightings over the
past 15 or so years as far north as Cairns.

Some records:
 l4.6.86 Apollo Wharf, Breakfast Ck (Brisbane)    T.Palliser
16.11.88 Cairns Esplanade    D Magarry (believed to be only 2nd record in
Cairns)
Early June 1989 Caloundra     C Jeays
10.11.90 Cairns Esplanade     P Mahoney
15.11.97 Cairns Esplanade    D. Magarry

Cheers
Bob Inglis
Woody Point
Queensland
Australia

PS: I have just seen Tom Tarrants Kelp Gull Pics, @%$*&

So I went and had another look........without my camera.
I knew that would work because the bird was there!
A quick dash home for the digiscoping gear and 67 shots later I had about 4
reasonable pictures of my own.
Must get that good scope if I want to match it with Tom!