birding-aus

Trip Report-North Qld Part 5

To: "Mark & Lan Vaney" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Trip Report-North Qld Part 5
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:25:47 +1100
This final report covers the period Aug 21 to our return home on Sept 11, and geographically covers the northern Atherton Tableland, the Daintree, Cairns, Bowen areas.We arrived at Kingfisher Park with 195 species on our trip list including 16 lifers.Were made very welcome by Ron Stannard, a truely generous gent, and the dynamic Isles team, Carol and Andrew.Kingfisher Park was a bit of R & R for us (the rain helped) but it wasn't long before we were back into the birding.Take trips to Mt.Carbine, up Mt.Lewis, in and around Mt.Molloy and Julatten.Got Australian Hobby at Mt.Carbine, Bustard and Lemon-bellied Flycatcher on the way back.The night walk produced Lesser Sooty Owl and some great mammals, and the morning walk the long anticipated Papuan Frogmouth, both lifers, and was Mountain Thornbill  on Mt.Lewis.White-eared Monarch, Barred Cuckoo-shrike and Northern Fantail were other highlights at Kingfisher Park.
           Leaving Julatten we picked-up our first Lovely Fairywren on a back road before heading down to Mossman.Stayed a few days at the Pinacles where we saw the first of many Pied Imperial Pigeon.In the company of Frans, a Dutch birder we found at the Pinacles Caravan Park, spent a full-on birding day north of the Daintree River, mainly on the rainforest/mangrove boardwalks.On the last of these, the Dubuji Boardwalk at Cape Tribulation, at the end of a long day, Frans spied a Red-necked Crake a lifer which we'd heard but not seen at Kingfisher Park.Other highlights in the Daintree were Victoria's Riflebird,Shining Flycatcher (m and f) on the mangrove floor,Wandering Tattler and Pacific Golden Plover on a rocky ledge some 50m offshore.Frans got 8 lifers for the day.
        Onto Cairns with our trip tally up to 223.Highlight of Cairns was a trip to Michaelmas Cay where we were able to spend over 3 hours on the cay with the thousands of Sooty Tern (another lifer),Eastern reef Egret, Brown Booby,Common Noddy, Great Frigatebird, and Ruddy Turnstone.An amazing experience to be so close to these birds, and to hear their calls and screeches even as you snorkelled with ears under the water.Went to the Esplanade (of course!) where finally got Mangrove Robin on our last day (what a tidy little bird!), and the Botanic Gardens.Cultural highlight was a night concert in the Botanic Gardens featuring that icon of Aussie jazz, Bob Barnard, still blowing strong at 70+.A trip to the Croc Farm at Edmonton rewarded us with White-browed Crake, more Lovely fairywren, and Brown-backed Honeyeater.All-up a total of 49 species (one lifer, the crake) in under 3 hours. A Little Kingfisher at Thomson's Rd finished the day.
         Onto Bowen for more relaxing by the water at Horseshoe Bay before the trip home .There we got the easiest tick of the trip, observing 4 Lesser Frigatebirds hanging in the air over the swimming pool we were floating in.Stayed overnight in Gladstone where we heard Common Koel on our last morning, and so arrived back on the Sunshine Coast with a trip list of 247, and 25 new ticks, and still missing the big one--Great-billed Heron (but even the great Sean Dooley hasn't got that yet---or has he?)

             Russ Lamb, Maleny, SEQ