birding-aus

Canada Goose on the Shoalhaven River

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Canada Goose on the Shoalhaven River
From: Phil Hansbro <>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:38:11 +1100
I received a call last night and found out that a fully-winged Canada Goose has been inhabiting the mouse of the Shoalhaven River for the past 10 days.

Myself and Richard and Damian Baxter set off from Newcastle at 0030 (28.10.02). After picking up Dion Hobcroft in Sydney we made it to the Caravan Park at Shoalhaven Heads at 0400. After getting light at 0600 we found the Canada Goose after a brief search. We saw the bird well down to 200M. There was no damage apparent damage to either wing tip and there was no ring on the right leg and probably no ring on the left. The bird was large had a clear demarkation between the neck and breast, the breast was pale and contrasted with the belly. The head had a distinctive profile with a peaked crown somewhat reminiscent of a Magpie Goose. The bird was large at least 2/3rds the size of the accompanying black swans. I haven't checked the literature yet but I believe that these observations are consistent with the subspecies maxima which is the common subspecies in New Zealand.

Shoalhaven caravan park is signposted in Shoalhaven Heads which is accessed from Gerroa or Gerringong about 20 Kms North of Nowra. There appear to be about 4 caravan parks in a row so make sure you drive along the road to check all the habitat. A telescope is strongly recommended.

There are apparently 29 Black Swans at the mouth of the Shoalhaven so just find these and you should find the goose. While we were there the goose was associating with 2 Black Swans.

Dion has made extensive enquiries over a number of years and discovered that there are only a few (single figures) of Canada Geese in captivity in Australia. Vagrants from New Zealand have previously occurred at Lord Howe and Norfolk Islands and the coast of New South Wales would be the most likely location for a mainland vagrant from New Zealand. Feral Canada Geese in the UK frequently undertake moult migration. Taking all of these things into consideration along with the observation that the bird is of the most appropriate subspecies for a vagrant strongly suggest that this bird is an excellent candidate for the first genuine mainland vagrant from New Zealand. I believe that this record should be treated as such unless there is substantiated evidence to the contrary that I am unaware of.

All the best and good luck in your searching!!

Phil Hansbro
--
Dr Phil Hansbro
Tel: +61 2 49236819 or 49522201