birding-aus

WA Pilgrimage Part 5

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: WA Pilgrimage Part 5
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 12:07:55 +1100
Hi everyone

Back to happier times after "the Black-Cockatoo incident".

2 to 8 September
Used Nannup as a base while exploring Cape Naturaliste and Cape Leeuwin,
Busselton area, Balingup, Bridgetown.  Then to
Pemberton, Beedelup Falls, Warren National Park, Northcliffe and
D'Entrecasteaux National Park.

On the Williams to Darkan stretch was a nice lake with Black Swan, 220 Eurasian
Coot, Hoary-headed Grebe and Black-tailed
Native Hen.  The bopping frogs were a delight.  This lake was on private
property as made clear by the sign:  "Trespassers
Welcome:  I need the target practice and my dogs need a feed".

Now seeing some Black-Shouldered Kites.

Stayed at some bush cabins on private property in Nannup:  Tawny Frogmouth
seen, Southern Boobook heard, Red-winged
Fairy-wrens and White-breasted Robin right next to my verandah.

Okay:  off to Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse for the Red-eared Firetail, as
recommended by Frank O'Connor.  Wild winds again -
oh no - and the birdbath mentioned by Frank on his website was in pieces on the
ground.  There was however a birdbath on the
next door property, which attracted a range of birds, but no Red-eared
Firetail.  Did get my first Western Rosellas here
(lifer 15 for the trip).  Despite the wind, enjoyed a nice walk on the headland
which included an Osprey which flew along the
shoreline and landed on the cliff edge with something in its feet, though in 5
minutes it didn't eat whatever it had.  On its
way to a nest???

The Busselton area had interesting lakes and creeks on Layman Road, plus the
Possum Path and bird hide (though there's an
awful number of arum lilies here).  Nevertheless:  Banded Stilt and
White-bellied Sea-Eagle.  The arum lilies in Tuart Forest
National Park were a disgrace.  This park supposedly houses the last remaining
natural stand of Tuart trees - so it should
deserve great attention - and yet it might as well be called the "arum lily
national park".  Whilst I was generally very
impressed with CALM's management of parks, animals and walks etc., this is one
area where it's out of hand and desperately
needs serious attention.

Nannup to Balingup was a lovely drive along the banks of the Blackwood River.
Heavy rain meant inundated paddocks, which the
Australian Shelduck like.  Collared Sparrowhawk, Hardhead, Wedge-tailed Eagle,
Australasian Shoveler, Australian Wood Duck
with 4 ducklings and Pacific Black Duck outdoing them with 8 ducklings.  The
best sighting here was 25 Long-billed
Black-Cockatoo which flew into marri trees, screeched and chomped on the dark
brown fruits.  Plucked fruit by stem, turned it
upside down in its foot.  Upper bill would spoon out some contents which
appeared to mainly be discarded, and perhaps a small
amount eaten.  Also crunched some fruits open by lower bill being placed on the
widest part of the fruit with the upper bill
tip in the cup and then rip open the rim.  Birds with dark grey bills, and
horn/light grey bills with a dark tip (though the
darkness could have been from the marri fruit).  Feet dark brown to reddish.
Bill on some birds jutted forward a lot before
curving down.  Cream to feathers, not white.  Birds also tore at wood and bark
of branches and treetrunks.  All the time
there was calling made by at least some of the birds.  Lifer 16.

Bridgetown Jarrah Park near Nannup is apparently not technically rainforest,
but was close.  Lovely walk here with a Grey
Currawong giving a parrot-like call and a White-breasted Robin giving a "tick"
sound while bobbing its tail.  This was one of
several sightings of these robins over the trip and they proved to be one of
the easier endemics to see.

6 September and Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse for the Rock Parrot.  Wild winds again
- oh no.  But better luck this time and a
single parrot flew over and whistled.  (lifer 17 for the trip).  The winds made
it all quite atmospheric and I enjoyed
watching the wild seas on the rocks.  The Sooty Oystercatcher enjoyed it all
too.  Round to Hamelin Bay which is another spot
for Rock Parrot.  They were mowing the lawns at the caravan park and so no
parrots, but 2 Pied Oystercatchers were foraging,
driving their bills into the sand at the beach.

Bicentennial Tree at Warren National Park had amazingly confiding Rufous
Treecreepers.  In fact, when I sat at the picnic
table to change film in my camera, 2 birds jumped up on the table next to me!!
Something tells me these birds are humanised
and not beyond taking scraps from us!!  If you want to see these treecreepers,
here's the place.  The treecreepers also
proved to be one of the easier endemics to see.

On to Northcliffe and stayed at the Riverway Chalets with my chalet having a
pond close to the verandah.  If you love frogs,
this is your place.  Had a wonderful time sitting on the verandah and listening
to a fantastic range of frog bops and calls.
Frogs also abounded in the swamps of nearby D'Entrecasteaux National Park.

Down the road is Mt. Chudalup - not a huge climb, just a little bit of
relatively easy rock scrambling, so most people could
make it and I strongly recommend it.  A FANTASTIC 360 degree view from the top.
 Once again it was a windy and rainy day and
I had some great atmospherics as I stood at the top and could see pouring rain
heading straight for me, but then it swung to
the side of mountain and I watched it go past.  Sometimes the sun shone through
the rain and mist.  Alternately, I could see
only a short distance due to the mist, which would then rise and reveal the
longer views.  Very fond memories of this place.

Was most surprised to see White-browed Babblers here in this tall forest with
relatively thick undergrowth.  The babblers
were also at Twin Karri loop.

Windy Harbour had Ruddy Turnstones foraging amongst beachwashed kelp seaweed,
and the Silver Gulls didn't mind roosting right
on the piles of seaweed.

Walked the clifftops near Point D'Entrecasteaux including the Pupulong Walk
Trail - great views and again highly recommended.
2 patrolling Nankeen Kestrels.

More yet to come.

Cheers and Happy Times with Nature

Irene Denton
Concord West, 12 km from Sydney city, NSW Australia
S 33°50.278'  E 151°05.406'