birding-aus

NSW Mid-north coast trip

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: NSW Mid-north coast trip
From: Greg Oakley <>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:56:49 +0800
HI everyone,

Just returned (unfortunately) from a 2 week sojourn to mid-north coast NSW.
For a winter-weary Melburnian, the weather up there is nothing short of spectacular!

The birding was also very productive (and leisurely) with approx 120spp seen over the 2 weeks.
Nothing too out of the ordinary, however I enjoyed seeing some birds I don't normally see - Striped Honeyeater, Fairy Tern,
Regent and Satin Bowerbird, Topknot Pigeon, Figbird, Olive-backed Oriole, Yellow-throated Scrubwren, Brahminy Kite and many others.

Unfortunately missed out on Regent Honeyeater (not through lack of trying!).

The Brahminy Kite was at Hallidays Point (about 60km south of Port Macquarie) - is this pretty much
at the southern edge of its range? One field guide states it as being uncommon south of Coffs Harbour?

Having done extensive travelling throughout Australia, I would say this area is one of the most beautiful- I'll definitely be returning!

Cheers,
Greg Oakley