birding-aus

1,000 Marsh Harriers,10 Montagus Harriers, six Ospreys...

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: 1,000 Marsh Harriers,10 Montagus Harriers, six Ospreys...
From: "david camilleri" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:56:40 -0400
Sunday, September 15, 2002

< BirdLife says 'indiscriminate' hunting goes on daily >
by Herman Grech

Hundreds of Marsh Harriers migrating over the Maltese islands were welcomed by
the rattle of gunfire in yet another incident of illegal hunting, BirdLife
lamented yesterday.

An exceptional passage of Marsh Harriers, which are protected birds, occurred
late on Friday, as the autumn raptor migration was in full swing.

But by yesterday morning, BirdLife received reports that many birds of different species were shot down in Buskett, a bird sanctuary, and in different parts of
Gozo.

Just two weeks into the hunting season, BirdLife said it had received reports of indiscrimate hunting on a daily basis, BirdLife president Joseph Mangion told
The Sunday Times.

"Most of the birds being targeted have been protected for no fewer than 22
years. Even if we enforce current legislation we should be miles better. We
really have to put our house in order," Mr Mangion charged.

BirdLife members carrying out observations at Buskett noted that the weather
conditions on Friday were just right for raptor migration.

By the end of the day, they had counted over 1,000 Marsh Harriers at Buskett
alone, as well as over 100 Honey Buzzards, 10 Montagus Harriers, six Ospreys,
four Black Kites, a Black Stork and a Booted Eagle.

Mr Mangion said that police presence at Buskett was instrumental in avoiding a
bigger massacre.

Migrating birds were also observed in other parts of the islands, and with them rampant shooting, especially in Gozo in the Nadur, Wied tar-Ramla and l-Ghammar
areas, he said.

At Mizieb shooting on birds attempting to roost reached a climax closer to dusk,
Mr Mangion said.

Hunters at Mizieb were reported shooting at will even in the dark. Shooting was
also reported from the Kuncizzjoni area north of Rabat.

BirdLife once again urged the authorities to step up resources for law
enforcement given that such exceptional migration days was occurring regularly.

Mr Mangion said it was impossible to give the toll of protected birds shot since
the start of the hunting season.

"We simply can't be present in all the places where hunting takes place. But the number of reports we are getting is nothing short of worrying. We also fear a
lot of illegal hunting is going on at sea."

This article may also be viewed at
http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=108729

david camilleri

http://www.MaltaTouristAction.org

Proact, campaigning for birds and their habitats .... your contribution
DOES make a difference.  Join the http://www.proactnow.org/team/

http://www.proactnow.org