birding-aus

Ulladulla, Hooded Plover and Barren Grounds

Subject: Ulladulla, Hooded Plover and Barren Grounds
From: Penelope Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 06:09:27 -0700 (PDT)
Dear All

Spent the weekend at Mollymook (wee bittie north of
Ulladulla)with Sue Kitchen - visited Warro Beach and
found one Hooded Plover sitting on the beach besides a
hump of seaweed, towards the northern end of the
beach. It fed at the tide line for a bit and then
returned to another heap of weed to squat - keeping a
sharp lookout all the time. At the south end over the
island at entry to Tabourie (can't remember name) was
one Sea-eagle harassed by A.Ravens whenever it got to
close to land.

At Mollymook golf course were large numbers of Rainbow
and Musk Lorikeets, a few Scaly-breasted, 4 Gang
Gangs, King Parrots and E and C Rosellas, 2
White-headed Pigeons, and one Bassian Thrush that came
out almost onto a fairway at dusk.

Sunday we dropped in at Barren Grounds where Sue had
to do some work on an assignment. There we saw one
Bristlebird, curious to see what we were up to, and at
least 7 Beautiful Firetails - 6 flew up into a dead
tree, giving light high clear whistles, two dropped
out of the tree falling facing each other with feet
touching, and then they all vanished into the heath -
the flowers were beaut - boronias, epacris and
dylwinias in brilliant blossom and smelling divine.
No raptors at all, which is unusual there.