birding-aus

two windy weekend birding trips

To: "" <>
Subject: two windy weekend birding trips
From: "Mules, Michael" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 12:34:51 +1000
Hi all,

With not much to do this weekend, I put in two small (1 1/2 hour) bird
watches in what was either wet, windy, or wet and windy weather.

On Saturday afternoon, I paid my first visit to Yarra Flats Park in
Heidelberg, and got rained on.  I also saw a good variety of birds - 33 spp.
in total.  Highlights were male Rose Robin, Crested Shrike-tit, Striated
Thornbill (not a bird I see too often in inner-suburbia) and Golden
Whistler.

On Sunday, after looking at the Melways in an idle moment, I decided to have
a look at the Altona Nature Reserve, just off Racecourse Rd.  Well, it
wasn't quite what I expected, but I saw a good number of birds considering
the windy conditions - 37 spp.  The best birds were Skylark, Little Egret,
Horsefield's Bronze-Cuckoo, male Musk Duck, both species of Spoonbill, and
Little Eagle.  I also tried out my new, ultra-cheap telescope, which only
magnifies 20x, but fits in my budget and shows the birds well enough.  With
it I managed to ID Common Greenshank, Red-necked Stint, and Curlew
Sandpiper.

Mike

DISCLAIMER:This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system
manager. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are
School. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments
for the presence of viruses. The School accepts no liability for any damage