birding-aus

Fw: Nothing to do with birds, but this net is one way of reaching lots o

To: "birds birds birds" <>
Subject: Fw: Nothing to do with birds, but this net is one way of reaching lots of people.
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 11:05:04 +0930

There's something that's been nagging at me to mention for some time.  It always annoys me when those Americanos refer to us as "ossies" rather than "ozzies".
Yes, the country is Australia and is pronounced Osstralia, but we the inhabitants refer to this place as "the land of Oz" and we are "Ozzies" not "Ossies".  Ossies has something to do with horses or hosses I suppose, but we are "Ozzies" with a definite "Zee" sound.

You lot in the states do have the misfortune to have made a TV series about the Osbourne family ( heaven forbid they are ex poms) , and you do refer to that unpleasant patriarch as "Ozzie" don't you.  Well, please don't associate us with that awful fellow, but we are pronounced the same way.

So, please, no more of this Ossie stuff. Cool ?

Mex.