birding-aus

Nombinnie NR

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Nombinnie NR
From: "Bob Way" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:27:19 +1000
Birded Nombinnie NR, 600km west of Sydney, with Bruce Cox last week, looking
for Red-lored Whistler.  Lots of Rufous and Gilbert's around but heard
nothing that suggested a RLW (not knowing these birds, we only had the BOC
tape
recording to go by).  Incidentally, the area west of the road to Lake
Cargelligo, containing the "Old Field", see 4.20 of Thomas and Thomas,
which, historically, has been referred to as Round Hill NR, has recently
(since last November) been signposted as Nombinnie NR.  Round Hill NR stops
at the other side of the road.
We moved on to Binya SF, just north of Griffith, and called in White-browed
Tree-creeper about 500m along Pine Drive with relative ease (we spent 9hr
there over three days in March looking for these birds without success).
They did not appear
to be calling on either occasion; the tape seemed to have made the
difference this time.
There were Painted Honeyeater there and again at Back Creek, near West
Wyalong, where we woke to their calls.
If anyone finds RLW at Nombinnie this breeding season, please let me know as
we would like to return for another try.
Bob Way