birding-aus

RFI: MacQuarie Marshes area--re Oct long weekend

To: birding-aus "@" vicnet "." net "." canberrabirds "@" topica "."
Subject: RFI: MacQuarie Marshes area--re Oct long weekend
From: "qqsr" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:41:55 +1000
The NSW NPWS has an open weekend for the MM Nature Reserve on sat/Sun 5/6
October. I am thinking of going up to the area to take advantage of this and
do some birding. Apparently, altho it is very dry, the NSW NPWS arranged a
recent release from the dam to keep the wetlands viable, so the place should
not be a wipe out. Camping (basic) will be available, I understand, at
Qumabone show ground.

Having never been in the area before, I would appreciate any information any
one has about birding there and also about any hot spots to look at in the
surrounding area or en route up/back. I will be travelling from the Sydney
area on the morning of the 3rd to Cowra to drop my partner off to meet
friends, then pottering up from there on the 3rd and 4th, returning to my
base (Canberra) either late on the 6th or on the 7th.

If anyone is going to be up there and wants birding company, drop me an email
direct (rather than swamp the site). My direct email for such a purpose is
 (The reason I subscribe under the other address is
too complex to bore you with.)

Thanks.

Stephen Mugford

Stephen Mugford