birding-aus

Help wanted in PNG

Subject: Help wanted in PNG
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:34:34 +1000
Hi everybody -

We have received a letter requesting assistance from Samuel Kepuknai of
Kiunga Nature Tours in PNG (see slightly edited text below).  Some of you
may be familiar with the man or the organisation, though I am not.  If
anyone is interested in helping, or at least finding out more, please get
in touch with Mr Kepuknai directly - there is a postal address and a fax
number but no email address.  This is not an endorsement and I know no
further details.

Cheers,
Hugo
------------------------------

Kiunga Nature Tours
PO Box 273
Kiunga 335
Western Province
Papua New Guinea

Fax: (675) 548 1195

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: REQUIRE ASSISTING IN BIRD STUDY AND RELATED RESOURCES OF THE AREA

I am a bird watcher in western part of Papua New Guinea, and the locations
are remote, and I have been bird watching and leading bird watching groups
from other countries since 1987 until now.  I would like your assistance in
the following:

1. Provide assistance in bird sound recording, bird study of the areas and
training local person to feed local birds.

2.      (i) Try to study the Southern Crowned Pigeon (Goura scheepmakeri).
        (ii) Flame Bowerbird (Sericulus aureus).
        (iii) Little Paradise Kingfisher (Tanysiptera hydrocharis).
        (iv) White-bellied Pitohui (Pitohui incertus).

And many other eco-systems which are naturally available here in Kiunga for
research, such as traditional medicines and so many other things which are
available on my traditional customary land which is untouched for so many
years.  And my neighbouring clans are talking about harvesting the trees
for quick money making from Malaysian loggers.

I would be very available for any queries that may arise from your end.

Thankyou.

Yours faithfully,
Samuel Kepuknai

Hugo Phillipps
Communications Coordinator
Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Road
Hawthorn East 3123, Australia
Tel: (03) 9882 2622, fax: (03) 9882 2677
Email: <>
Website: <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>

Are you a member of Birds Australia?  If not, why not join us?