birding-aus

Trip Report -North Qld 4Aug to 11Sept. 2002

To: "Mark & Lan Vaney" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Trip Report -North Qld 4Aug to 11Sept. 2002
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 15:31:09 +1000
Our trip took us from home,Maleny,SEQ to as far north as Cape Tribulation,FNQ, though in less than a direct route.All-up over 6700 kms, as far west as the Undara Lava Tubes near Mt.Surprise, and to Mt.Carbine on the Tableland.We saw a total of 247 species which included 25 new birds, slightly more than I had hoped for. We had had only one previos trip to NQ, back in 1992 when we were keen, but relatively unskilled, birders. Some species ,like Great-billed Heron, Papuan Frogmouth, Sarus Crane, Red-necked Crake, Lesser Sooty Owl were high on the "must-have" list.There were other non-birding activities on the holiday agenda as well, but birding was the prime activity.
     Armed with our research, telescope, binos, trusty camper-trailer etc we set off on 4/8 aiming to get into the "birding Zone " of NQ as quickly as possible, with Mackay the proposed starting spot. Well things did not go quite to plan! Mid-day on day 2 and the wheel on the camper-trailer decided to part with the rest of the structure--- at 80kph. Needless to say ,some damage was sustained to said trailer which the insurer reckoned exceeded the value, so we were provided with a cheque. (My arguements that it's a bit hard to camp in a cheque were to no avail!!)
       The birding therefore started in Sarina Beach where we awaited the insurers decision.We saw our only Radjah Shelduck (pair) in the mouth of a small creek, and also collected our first Eastern Curlew,Blue-winged ,Collared,and Sacred Kingfisher. Mangrove Gerygone were also present, as were Yellow Honeyeater, Helmeted friarbird and the first of many Yellow-bellied Sunbird.
        A day trip to Eungella was succesful in providing our first tick, Eungella Honeyeater,in the State Forest along Chelman's Rd. We had tried Diggin's Rd without success, but did get our only Topknot Pigeon of the trip, as well as Woompoo Pigeon. On our way that morning we had seen the wonderful sight of over 200 Magpie Geese flying SE in two formations about 10km south of Mackay. Brolgas were regularly seen in the harvested canefields along Sarina Beach Rd.Had great views of a Spotted Harrier near Finch Hatton eating a kill by the roadside, and very reluctant to move or surrender to the numerous Black Kites. Arrangements were made to store the camping gear, decision taken to use self-contained cabins, car packed to the gunwales, angst done-with (well,almost) and off we went again.

                             to be continued

          Russ Lamb,Maleny,SEQ