birding-aus

[Fwd: Greens-Media: Minster opens door on saving Sandon Point wetlands.]

Subject: [Fwd: Greens-Media: Minster opens door on saving Sandon Point wetlands.]
From: Peter Adderley <>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:47:40 +1000

The following email was received from the Greens-Media email list.
Although I cannot vouch for its authenticity I have no reason to doubt its validity.
Is the minister not aware of our responsibility to JAMBA?
Peter Adderley

-----quote---------

** ---------------------
** You are subscribed to 'GREENS-MEDIA' list as: xxx
** Maillist Home Page: http://www.altnews.com.au/Greens/
** ---------------------

MEDIA RELEASE 19.09.02

Minister re-opens door to saving Sandon Point wetlands.

Senator Kerry Nettle in question time today, identified a further
opportunity for the Commonwealth to intervene in the development process at
Sandon Point.

of migratory bird movements from the site, Senator Hill has, on behalf of
the Minister for the Environment, offered to re-examine some of the
information used to waive a requirement for an EIS under federal law.

"Sandon point is an area of special environmental significance." Senator
Nettle said. That the minister has indicated that there may be an
opportunity to re-evaluate a need for an EIS on the site is an important
step toward having this fact recognised. This opens the door to saving the
wetland and halting the development as proposed.

"Wetlands on which the Japanese Snipe depends are to be destroyed by this
development, and clearly the process to assess this danger has been
inadequate.

"The Greens both locally, in state parliament and here in the Federal
Parliament have been working hard to ensure that this kind of
overdevelopment is not allowed to trash the special coastal, environmental
and heritage values of this site.

"The community whose concern about this matter has been vocal and persistent
have been let down by all levels of government. The Greens are committed to
redressing this betrayal where we can.

Senator Nettle will be pursuing this matter with the Minister, along with a
range of avenues to ensure that Sandon Point remains a special place for
future generations.

Contact - Jon Edwards 0428 213 146

Senator Nettle's Question on Sandon Point, 19 September 2002

Senator NETTLE (2.39pm) - My question is to the Minister representing the
Minister for the Environment and Heritage.  Can the Minister tell the Senate
if it is a requirement of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity
Conservation Act for a population survey to be undertaken of a protected
migratory bird species that could be affected by a proposed residential
development, such as the one at Sandon Point, just to the north of
Wollongong?

Senator HILL - I do not think it is a requirement of the EPBC Act to conduct
population studies as such.  The underlying issue in the question is whether
there is to be a Commonwealth involvement in protecting the birds, as it
might amount to a matter of national environmental significance under the
terms of the EPBC act.  That would depend on the circumstances: if it is an
endangered species under the Commonwealth legislation, then it could
certainly trigger the Commonwealth legislation.  Whether the proposed action
would be of such consequence that it might have a significantly detrimental
effect upon the species is another matter to be determined.  If the
honourable senator is genuinely serious about the issue, she can provide me
with the full details and I will refer it to the Minister for the
Environment and Heritage and see whether, in his view, the Commonwealth
legislation is triggered by the proposed action.

Senator Nettle - Mr President, I ask a supplementary question.  My
understanding is that it is a requirement.  Minister, is it acceptable for
such a survey to be undertaken when the migratory species in question is
know to be not in the area? Why did the minister accept a population survey
of Latham's Snipe that was taken when the species, protected under two
bilateral agreements, was known to be flying north for the winter?  Why did
the minister rely on this survey when exempting Stockland Constructions from
an environmental impact assessment for the 420-lot housing development on
one of the bird's roosting sites at Sandon Point, in the electorate of
Cunningham?

Senator HILL - On the basis of the supplementary question, it sounds as if
the act was in fact triggered but that the minister, in giving consideration
to whether the action had a significantly detrimental effect upon the
species, decided in the negative.  It seems that the honourable senator
questions that judgment.  As I said in answer to the first question, if she
provides me with the full details I will refer it back to the minister and
ask him to have another look at it.

** Hosted by Alternative News Network, Cairns, Australia

-----end quote---------