birding-aus

The Big Twitch in the Torres Strait- Part One

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: The Big Twitch in the Torres Strait- Part One
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:02:15 +0800
With the stroke of a colonial pen in 1879, the islands of the Torres Strait were designated to be part of Queensland, despite some of them being less than an Anthony Rocca torpedo punt from the New Guinea mainland. On August the 21st ten birders gathered aboard the yacht "Jodi Anne II" to exploit this political anomaly for a ten day trip through the Straits trying to add a few New Guinea species to their Australian lists.

Here's how we went.

We boarded at Horn island, acquainting ourselves with our tiny cabins. I was sharing with Mike Carter in the cabin at the back of the boat, which was larger than some, though the only way I could achieve a standing position was to leave the hatch open with my head poking out, gopher-like up onto the deck. This didn't present much of a problem as very little time was spent in the cabins. In fact, once we  had sailed out of the lee of Horn Island, and into open waters I was reluctant to go down to the cabin at all, preferring the fresh,stiff breeze in my face, but when I did I realised that it was a far smoother ride down there closer to the waterline.These winds were to be a feature of the trip- all I can say is thank goodness Torres Strait is shallow, because if it had been deep enough to produce a big rolling swell, it could have been a most unpleasant ten days.

Our first morning saw us anchored off the cone shaped peak of Dauan Island. We undertook the first of what would be many beach landings, everyone dressed in the camouflage gear of the birder, and loaded up with equipment, no wonder the sleepy locals looked on bemused- they must have thought they were being invaded by an army of nerds.

Due to the tides, we could only stay on Dauan for the morning, birding the mangrove fringes, leaving the central hilly areas unexplored. Even though it lies much closer to New Guinea, the birds were still very much Australian, with plenty of familiar species ( Yellow-bellied Sunbird, Spangled Drongo, and Shining Starling) as well as some less frequently encountered Aussie birds (Channel-billed Cuckoo, Mangrove Golden Whistler and Broad-billed Flycatcher) with only a few New Guinea visitors- Eclectus Parrot, Pied Imperial-Pigeon and even an early Barn Swallow.

Whereas Dauan has that tropical paradise look to it, Boigu Island, is a big flat piece of swampy land. The one village clings to the only beach on the island. Arriving in the afternoon after a four hour sail from Dauan we immediately hit the village in search primarily of Singing Starling. This common New Guinea species had been reported regularly here but I wasn't confident of success. I needn't have worried, because after an anxious half hour or so, we managed to come across three Singing Starlings in the middle of the village. Typically, once we had all seen them, on every other visit to the village we would get them almost immediately. You've got to love a bird with a good sense of drama.

We walked into the interior of the island, which is flat and swampy and though we didn't see anything spectacular, the birding was very promising, with me adding Australian Pratincole, Rufous-banded Honeyeater and Red-backed Button-quail- a lifer for me.

Over the next two days on Boigu we added some really good birds: Pale White-eye, (a lifer, and the only Torres Strait specialty I'd dared allow myself to think of a sure thing) Black Butcherbird, Tawny-breasted Honeyeater, Northern Fantail, Pectoral Sandpiper,  Large-tailed Nightjar.

These and many others were all good, but there was better to come. I missed the weird looking raptor that some of the others got, but had a mystery bird of my own in the form of a very perplexing, extremely dark Cicadabird. Not only was it (and its call) different to the two types of Australian Cicadabird I have seen, it was also different from the Cicadabirds we later saw on Saibai and Darnley. I still think it is a Cicadabird, but perhaps yet another race, though I can't entirely rule out the possibility of a New Guinea species. A trip to PNG might be in order to sort it out- I could have done the swim in ten minutes, but the turbid, brown, fast flowing waters that separated us from there kind of put me off trying.

On one of the days we were led by a couple of locals along the mangrove lined channel that splits Boigu in two. Little Richie, our deckhand and tinnie driver, picked up what ten eager birders' eyes had not, when he asked, "What's that duck over on the bank. And there, desperately trying to not become our guides' dinner, was an immature Spotted Whistling-Duck, a lifer for many, and of particular joy to me after having dipped on it at Weipa.

To be continued...