birding-aus

Black-Breasted Button-Quail, SEQld

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Black-Breasted Button-Quail, SEQld
From: jilldening <>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 06:18:07 +1000
Hi Everyone,

Got a new bird yesterday, and, after years of failing to locate the quarry,
yesterday was just too easy.

Over the years we must have tried for the Black-breasted Button-Quail (BBBQ)
five times at Yarraman, once on Fraser Is, and about three times at
Peachtrees in the Conondales. When my husband, James Hall, told me he was
going to Inskip Point for a try, I couldn't resist. Truth is, I couldn't
bear to listen to him boasting if he found it and I hadn't gone. We can be a
bit competitive with each other, and it eats at him that I've seen a Red
Goshawk, and he hasn't. I don't rub it in - much.

Inskip Point is the mainland jumping-off point to the southern tip of Fraser
Island. We had a mud map, and accidentally overshot the spot where we should
have been looking. We reached the end of the line at Inskip, where you do a
circle to return to Rainbow Beach.  About 100 metres before this point, I
saw some leaves blowing across the road, except that they were quail - Brown
Quail. We stopped the car to confirm them as Brown Quail. I was still in the
car, about to get out when James said that there were also quail beside us
on the left side of the road, and coming closer. A pair of BBBQ so close
that we could have opened the car door and offered them a lift.

There were platelets everywhere, and the birds were not at all shy, as long
as we were discreet.  However we lost them after about ten minutes, and
didn't locate them again.

I have to say it was all a bit of a let down to get the bird so easily,
before I even got out of the car.

Cheers,

Jill

--