birding-aus

[no subject]

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
From: "Paul McDonald"@vicnet.net.au
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:06:38 +1000 (EST)
<>
Date sent:              Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:59:24 +1000
Subject: Letter-winged Kites at Point Cook VIC
Send reply to:

Hi All,

With the recent mouse plagues and good conditions inland last
year I've been awaiting the first Letter-wing Kites to reach the
coast. Was 99% sure I saw one in the distance last week, but was
late for a meeting and couldn't go back to verify.

Yesterday afternoon had more time and sure enough there was a
LWK among many black-shouldered and Kestrels along Sneydes
Road, Point Cook, between Point Cook Road and Hacketts Lane
(Melway ref 207 F7). My wife has also seen one along this stretch
of road. There are lots of mice and thus lots of Elanus kites about,
so I imagine there is a strong possibility of more than one bird.

There is also a banded brown falcon here that was hatched on the
Werribee sewerage farm last year.

Unfortunately I am in the process of moving house (the birds are on
the road I use between my old and new place) so do not have time
to answer any emails at present. They/it has been around for at
least a week (I suspect longer), so may be present for a while yet.
All the elanids hunt within a 100m or so of the road, so easy to
see.

Good luck,

Paul McDonald
Please report all sightings of colour banded Brown Falcons:
Email:
Mbl: 0410 679 022

Paul McDonald
Division of Botany and Zoology