birding-aus

Dealing with Whales Entangled in Craypots

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Dealing with Whales Entangled in Craypots
From: "Simon Mustoe" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:37:39 +1000
Birding-aussies,

Alright, feedback has generally been supportive on the issue of putting some messages on birding-aus about cetaceans. How about this - at least it's not a message about viruses in JPGs!

I would be interested in feedback on the following entanglement issue. Birding-aus is a perfect forum for this kind of debate and I would hope that auscetnet (auscetnet- if you are interested) will become so in future.

_______

Following the recent NRE Workshop on dealing with whale entanglements and Doug Cochran's informative and safety-conscious talk, the news of divers freeing a Right Whale by 'jumping on its back', has shocked some within the science / conservation community.

Odd that members of the public are prepared to sue councils for personal injury on beaches, but the public support the efforts of 'whale-rescue' that has obvious potentially fatal consequences. The suggestion that the SA government may lift the law making it an offence for people to involve themselves in such situations is bizarre in the least (see article below). Clearly however, in this situation, everyone felt that there was a moral and ethical duty to attempt something quickly.

Maybe this demonstrates more than ever, the importance of finding a way to prevent entanglements in the first place rather than just relying on 'rescue' which is extremely dangerous. This was an issue that was not dicussed in detail at the recent workshop and is particularly pertinent to Victoria and SA where we have a large number of Right Whales (a species known to be highly aggressive) and, at least in Victoria recently, a lift on the limit of the number of craypots that can be distributed through areas like the Otway Basin.

I would suggest that this is an issue that needs to be tackled now, before Right Whale numbers swell to a level where these kinds of incidents become commonplace.

A copy of an article regarding the recent incident is below:

DAMIAN Grimm is a reluctant hero. The 29-year-old Whyalla man was yesterday nursing a heavily bandaged hand, the legacy of saving a drowning whale in northern Spencer Gulf on Monday. Mr Grimm, along with his diving partners Tony Bramley, 50, and Richard Worthington, 29, launched a perilous rescue of the stricken 8m southern right whale after it became entangled in crabbing pots in Fitzgerald Bay, near Whyalla. Despite criticism from National Parks and Wildlife SA that the men were not trained to help the whale, they were roundly praised for their efforts yesterday. Opposition Leader Rob Kerin called for Mr Grimm's loss of earnings and medical bills to be paid by the State Government. With his trademark humility, Mr Grimm coyly smirked at the suggestion the trio were heroic. "It's just something that we did because it had to be done," he said. "The whale would have died if we hadn't have got in there and helped it. We didn't really have a choice." Mr Grimm has had surgery to repair a tendon in his hand which he sliced while trying to cut ropes that bound the whale. Yesterday he was waiting to learn if he could still be a pallbearer at his grandfather's funeral in Whyalla today. "I'm really hoping that I will be okay to do that," he said. "It means a lot." The men took a day off work yesterday and reflected on the rescue. "(The rescue) is going to stay in my mind for a while," Mr Worthington said. "Just being that close to a whale was incredible." The diving companions deflected criticism from authorities. On Monday, National Parks and Wildlife SA said that ideally the rescue should have been handled by trained experts. Environment Minister John Hill told Parliament that, technically, the three divers breached the law by getting so close to the whale. But he said the Government did not support prosecutions in this case and the law would be reviewed. The drama began early on Monday afternoon when the manager of the aquaculture farm that contracts Mr Bramley's business, Whyalla Commercial Diving, alerted the men to the whale being in trouble. The RSPCA's Whyalla branch asked the divers to look at the situation. They found the whale struggling to stay afloat in about 6m of water near kingfish pens. In a 25-minute operation, they alternated at diving under the whale to cut ropes around its huge mass. Yesterday the whale was spotted in Spencer Gulf from the air and appeared to be swimming strongly.

Simon Mustoe - Director

AES Applied Ecology Solutions Pty Ltd.
59 Joan Avenue
Ferntree Gully
Melbourne
Victoria 3156
AUSTRALIA

Telephone 03 9762 2616
International Telephone +61 (0) 3 9762 2616
Mobile 0405 220830
Website www.ecology-solutions.com.au