birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant Werribee

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant Werribee
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:00:02 +1000

Saturday was another great day at the Treatment Plant Werribee.  After lots of windy cold days it was nice to have a calm day. On  The Spit were  Horsefield’s Cuckoos, 3 Orange-bellied Parrots feeding on top of the Samphire. We saw one of Paul McDonald’s banded Brown Falcons.  Around to Lake Borrie, there were a couple of Freckle Duck perched on the Rock, Blue-bills, Hard Heads, thousands of Pink-eared and Shovelers, an amazing   density of ducks.

At Paradise Rd there were few Shelduck. White-necked Herons in several places. >From the launching ramp at the end of Beach Road we could see the rocky outcrops   covered with Little Black Cormorants all poised ready to take off.

Plenty of Banded &  Black-winged  Stilts & Avocet  on the Paradise Road Ponds, as we had lunch 4 Glossy Ibis flew in. Down to the Borrow Pits, Red-kneed Dotterel, Black-Tailed Native Hens, Curlew Sandpipers and Red-necked Stints.  At the mouth of the Little River on the exposed sandbar were more waders, Red-capped Plover, Oystercatchers, Crested & Fairy Terns, more Little Black Cormorants, Red-neck Stints and many Gannets diving into fish shoals out in the bay.

There were many Marsh Harriers, Whistling  & Black-shouldered Kite about.  Musk Duck are still flicking water.  As we were leaving the Plant via Ryan’s Lagoon we saw the Fan-tailed Cuckoo & Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike to complete a great day, 75 species seen. A most enjoyable day.

  Thank you ‘birding-aus’ for give us the opportunity to show off our piece of Paradise to other bird enthusiasts!

Shirley Cameron

Werribee