birding-aus

Do Owls drink?

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Do Owls drink?
From: "Steve Popple" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:07:25 +1000
A bit of a trivial question and I assume the answer is yes but has anyone observed owls either drinking or bathing? I'd be interested in information on what species and any particular conditions at the time.
Following on from Nivens recent comments, this dry season has been particularly good for raptors around Darwin with larger numbers of Black Kites than last year (some afternoons you can see flocks of up to 50 circling on thermals from our back verandah). Unfortunately a spin off of all these raptors is an increase in road kills with at least one hit bird seen everyday on the roadside on the 45 km drive into Darwin.
Steve