birding-aus

Spotted Harrier ?? at Kurnell

Subject: Spotted Harrier ?? at Kurnell
From: "Dean Portelli" <>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 00:33:04 +1000
Chris,

Your ID sounds spot on (excuse the pun!!) but I would like a few more details. The tail of SpHarrier is typically grey thickly barred black including juveniles/immatures. The dorsal of SpHarrier has distinctly black primaries, the whole dorsum is a bluish grey to my eyes, in younger birds more dull. The one thing I want to know is how was the bird flying - the dihedral of harriers is quite distinct with slightly but noticeably raised wings, the head is held characteristically facing more to the ground in most of their flight including when being chased by ravens. If you piece together the dihedral then I think you are spot on. SpHarrier is a regular winter visitor to the county of Cumberland, but at Kurnell is a little unusual - usually they occur with most frequency in the Hawkesbury. Do you bird often in Sydney?, if so please consider being an atlasser with the Cumberland Bird Observer's Club database, we liase and exchange data with the national atlas and NSW atlas, but being that we concentrate on a small area we can increase the quality of data collected, such as habitat use, smaller grid sizes and more accurate plotting of distribution and reporting rates. The only thing we need is more birdwatchers!!!. If anyone is interested please contact me in person at this email.
Cheers, Dean