birding-aus

Start of the Spring Migration [RFI from snipe gurus]

Subject: Start of the Spring Migration [RFI from snipe gurus]
From: "Dean Portelli" <>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 14:57:03 +1000
While waders are the major bird group I have little to do with (I'm more a passerine man!!) I suspect that with migration to breeding grounds younger birds remain for a longer period and depart later (on average - they may also form the majority of over-wintering birds, again for those anti-banders banding is the only way or at least capture of birds is the only way of answering this information, this isn't to say I condone leg flagging vs colour banding!!!) than adult birds (breeders) - I'm sure there is a wader expert out there to verify or comment on this hypothesis (banding data would provide the evidence!!). I would suspect that the reverse may also be true, i.e. younger birds depart later for their "wintering" grounds than do adults - certainly northern hemisphere banding sites would have the data to confirm this. Perhaps the early returners are early leavers (i.e. they squeeze all their breeding effort into the same period of time but commence earlier i.e. they are consistently early), alternatively they may have failed their breeding attempt (e.g. nest predation, chick death) and thus have left their breeding sites somewhat earlier. In any case there is bound to be natural variation in departure times (both hemispheres) as a matter of course, it is after all this variation is the basis for future evolutionary changes in migration timing and sites.

Look forward to a wader experts point of view.

Cheers, Dean