birding-aus

Northern Shoveler Update

Subject: Northern Shoveler Update
From: richard baxter <>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 00:50:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

          Just a quick update on the Northern Shoveler on Ash Island Newcastle.

It was still there at 12.30pm on the 30.7.02.  For those that have been to the Island in recent years to see Wagtails and Lesser Yellowlegs, the directions are the same. Turn onto the Island opposite Macdonalds and follow the gravel Rd past the bunker for 1km and it is in the pond on your left which comes right up to the road. (See Phil Hansbro's directions)

Before I left today it flew into another small pond, which is behind the main pond near the road.  This pond is accessible via a road which is about 100m back down the road you came in on. This back road follows the telegraph poles which are behind the main pond.

Of interest is that it seemed to be in company with a female bird.  Due to the weather, which varied from overcast to pouring rain in the three hours I was there and the distance.  I could not tell if the other bird was a female Northern Shoveler or Australasian Shoveler.  But, Roger McGovern and I both saw that they were travelling around the pond together and keeping each other company.  So there may well be a pair of Northern Shovelers on Ash Island.

Regards

Richard Baxter

Newcastle

Do You Yahoo!?