birding-aus

The Big Twitch Gets A Bogey Bird

To: "Sean Dooley" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: The Big Twitch Gets A Bogey Bird
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:31:14 +1000
Sean,
You wrote ...
"With Spinifexbird, I now have a bona fide bogey bird. I knew it would be tricky, but thought it would be pretty gettable. Oh how wrong I was."

They are indeed tricky little devils !
They often pop up out of a clump of spinifex and dive straight back again or into an adjacent clump.

If you hear a clump of spinifex saying  "chick,     chick,       chick"  freeze, and wait, and then wait a bit more.
Their call is not unlike one of the calls of Clamorous Reed-warbler

Sometimes (but rarely) they will sit about 1 metre above the ground on a almost leafless bush and just look around.

In my area, they restrict themselves to the tallest Triodia (pungens ?) species

None of the Field Guides reflect their true colouring  & none at all show the barring under the tail

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.

Do not acknowledge this email --- you have not time !