birding-aus

birding from a chair

To: <>
Subject: birding from a chair
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 22:05:42 +1000
John Leonard wrote, 26 Jul 2002:

> Birding from one place is a sensible strategy in some places, particularly
> heavily-forested areas with limited paths, or an area where you have
> extensive views (for raptors &c), and I have used this strategy in several
> places.
>
> However, I don;t imagine Jim Davis literally stays ina  chair the whole
> time; surely you'd need to hop up and down and move around the area to get
> better views?

Reginald George Bartlett was Head Teacher at the North Tamborine State
(Primary) School (70 km south of Brisbane) in the 1930s when I was a pupil
there.  Was very knowledgeable on natural history and a keen
conservationist.  His son Des is an internationally recognised wildlife
film-maker, in recent years working in Namibia.  Served an apprenticeship as
photographer for Armqnd and Michela Dennis.  I went into NP administration.
The natural history influence paid off for both of us.

Plenty of rainforest on Tamborine Mountain in the '30s.  And I well remember
Mr Bartlett teaching us that to see birds (and other creatures, but
especially birds) it's not much good just walking through the bush.  No
matter how quiet you are, all the creatures of the bush know you are coming
from the warnings of their fellow residents - of various species.  A
pademelon's warning thumps as he hops away, or the scolding of a scrub-wren,
the loud alarm notes of a logrunner, and so on,  all such warnings alert
everyone.  You'll see relatively little.  But sit down, make yourself
comfortable and remain perfectly still.  After five minutes or so, the bush
gradually comes to life, as all the creatures again go about their normal
business.

And he emphasised that you must not make any sudden movement.  If you need
to turn your head to see something not directly in front of you, do it very
slowly so that the movement is not obvious.  (He didn't say it, but
emulating a frogmouth, is the way to go.)  Fits rather well with Jim Davis's
chair technique, I reckon.

It's well worth trying, I assure you.  Cheers.

Syd