birding-aus

Mallee Emu Wren etc

Subject: Mallee Emu Wren etc
From: "Nicholas Talbot" <>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:52:23 +1000
Hi all,
I went for a quick (800km) dash into Victoria to see if I could find the elusive mallee Emu wren in Hattah-Kulkyne National park. After looking for quite a while, I heard them calling from within a spinifex bush just under 8kms up the Old Calder Highway, right next to the road (S 34.42'58.4 E 142.16'57.0) I then spotted a female escaping to another bush. I stopped and listened to her buzzing for a while before I realised there were several other birds around me and managed to get a decent look at a female on the ground and a male near the bottom of a small bush. I hung around for about 20 minutes before they vanished and I got a fleeting view of another one as I walked back to the car.

Some of the other highlights of the trip were Male and Female Hooded and Red Capped Robins in the Mallee and a magnificent dusk at Lake Hattah which included Pacific Heron, Black Swan, Shovellers, Restless Flycatcher, Emu, lots of Red Rumped Parrots, Sulphur Crested Cockatoos and Regent Parrots as well.

Nick Talbot