birding-aus

shopping list (avian)

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: shopping list (avian)
From: "Birding Services Brisbane" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:10:06 +1000
Hi all

Have been out and about quite a bit over the past couple of months including 16 days in Thailand and 12 days in SW Queensland.  Will try to get some trip reports on b-aus shortly.  We had two US birders overnight (Friday) who came with a shopping list as both had been here a few times in the past.  We had from 5.30 pm Friday until midday on Saturday so not a lot of time.  Headed for Mt Coot-tha from the airport and after about an hour and a half during which we heard Southern Boobook and saw Tawny Frogmouth, we had had no luck with our desired Powerful Owl.  So we started to head back to the car resigned to missing it as we had done with Bush Stone-curlew a little earlier.  However we then heard one calling near the carpark and a few imitated calls brought it into a tree close to us for some great views.  We returned home satisfied for dinner and a quiet beer.

The next morning we were away by 7.00 am and went straight to Bardon looking for the Swifties.  They had read about them on b-aus before they left the States!  Out of the car and there they were - Swift Parrots which we scoped up beautifully.  Also saw Musk Lorikeets which they were shopping for.  King Parrots and heaps of Scaly-breasted and Rainbow Lorikeets there also.  Then as it started to drizzle rain we headed for College's Crossing where we got our bird, Cotton Pygmy-goose.  There were about 20 of them.  Had a nice Wedge-tailed Eagle fly over at Pinjarra Hills. We then had a change of plan as it looked very foggy and wet at Mt Nebo where we were heading to look for Glossy Black-Cockatoo and Variegated Wrens.  We instead headed back towards the city and dropped off at St Lucia Golf Course looking for the Stone-curlews but no luck.  As we drove away I glanced at some bark landscaping sloping away from the main driveway and there they were lurking in the shadows; three Bush Stone-curlews. Nice photo opportunity also.  Quickly on to area west of Petrie to tick Koalas and hopefully Variegated Fairy-wrens (which were a bogey bird for one guy) and possibly Glossies.  Again misty and raining so we cut our losses and headed for the mangroves of Tinchi Tamba Wetlands, my old stamping ground.  Traffic hold-ups on the way did not help the time/birds equation.  However we got there and quickly had great views of Collared Kingfisher, Chestnut Teal and before too long, two magnificent male Variegated Fairy-wrens.  My phone then rang with my wife reminding us we needed to be at the airport shortly.  Reluctantly we headed back for the car still missing Mangrove Honeyeater and Mangrove Gerygone.  As we were about to leave the mangroves, I heard a M.Gerygone call and while we looked for it we saw some Mangrove Honeyeaters and shortly after, a Mangrove Gerygone.  We headed for home and a rushed packing of bags, and made it to the airport in sufficient time.

They were very happy given the time constraints.  I have only mentioned the target birds and a few others.  All up we would have seen around 80 species.

Cheers

Roy
tours and accommodation for birdwatchers

NB  All of this took place around Brisbane, SE Queensland.