birding-aus

A Day on Kangaroo Island

Subject: A Day on Kangaroo Island
From: Alkirna Tours <>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 11:37:37 +0930
Hi Everybody

We have had recent sightings of Great Skuas around the coast here, two sitting hopefully by our boat when we were catching King George Whiting in Eastern Cove last Saturday and one soaring off the breakwater at Penneshaw the day before. Two weeks previously we had a Black-browed Albatross sitting by the boat in the same area.

Wednesday was a perfect winter's day here, so we walked from American River where I live to Redbanks along the coast of KI. The highlight of the day was not the Glossy-black Cockatoos as they are sometimes feeding by our house, it was the sighting of an overwintering Whimbrel. Magnificent rugged coastline in parts with thick vegetation to the edge of the rock face with other sections of the walk cleared farmland. Bottle-nosed Dolphins at times close in to the shore where we were walking.

The list for the day is detailed below.
Whimbrel
Silver Gull
Pacific Gull