birding-aus

A Fantastic Day Birding in The Hunter Region NSW 14th July 200

Subject: A Fantastic Day Birding in The Hunter Region NSW 14th July 200
From: "Paul Coddington" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:37:04 +0000

Before heading home in Sydney, we decided to pull through Woy Woy and then onto St Hubert's Island (approx 70-80 km north of Sydney CBD) where with a bit of searching > spotted 3 BUSH STONE-CURLEWS in the mangroves. They were as expected standing motionless being not dark yet. I have never seen more than 3 Stone-curlews here at > a time and was wondering if anyone out there has seen more?

When I was in Cairns I went to the cemetery near the botanical gardens since it was supposed to be a good place for them. I was amazed that in the middle of the day, I could see at least 10 just standing in one spot and looking around. I can't
imagine there would be anywhere much better in Australia to see them.

Paul Coddington
Adelaide, South Australia