birding-aus

what about digital videos?

Subject: what about digital videos?
From: john boyce <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:50:06 +1000
Hi everyone,
with the recent posts about digital still cameras I was wondering how
many people are using digital videos to aid their birdwatching fun.
It seems to me that they have a few interesting advantages over still
cameras
1. almost all models have very high magnification lenses (equivalent to
about 500 mm on a 35 mm format camera), of obvious importance for
birdwatching.
2. record digital sound as well as video.
3. allow you to capture a birds sound and movement and review later for
those tough id matters.

Some also allow high resolution still images to be captured although at
this stage these are far more primitive than a dedicated digital still
camera.
So I would love to hear what people think about digital videos for
birdwatching.
Especially, if you put a good shotgun mike on one is the sound recording
similar to other digital recording media (as good as DAT, better than
minidisc???).
John