birding-aus

Cetacean records

To: <>
Subject: Cetacean records
From: "Simon Mustoe" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 16:27:05 +1000
Dear All,

Sorry to speak off-topic again. Interested to read about various sightings of cetaceans recently including the Killers off Wollongong.

I would be very grateful for photos and locations for any cetacean sightings. The Killers particularly will be of interest to a friend of mine who is studying them around Australia. It is just possible that any photos may be used for ID purposes. Aside from that, there is so little information on distribution and abundance that birders are probably one of the main sources.

Likewise, any photos of the Pygmy Killer Whales from the Wollongong pelagic or any archived material of beaked whales (however poor quality) would be of great interest.

I am willing to act as a conduit for information of this sort and can make sure that it gets to the right people and provide ocasional feedback for anyone interested. For your information, I have recently posted standard recording forms (simple minimum information) on the front page of the following website: www.orcaweb.org

If anyone feels like filling in one of the forms and sending it to me at the address below (not the address on the form as that is a UK address for ORCA), I would be grateful. Otherwise, just the species, number, a description and / or photo (vital), location (lat and long), number of observers and the time spent looking is the minimum data required. A description is extremely important as these species are so poorly known that many of the records will be new to an area of Australia. For example, the Pygmy Killer Whales off Wollongong are still practically unknown although seen many times last year. I am most interested in seeing photos to get a definitive confirmation of ID. If nothing else, only so that I can decide to come out on a trip next year to see one!

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon Mustoe - Director

AES Applied Ecology Solutions Pty Ltd.
59 Joan Avenue
Ferntree Gully
Melbourne
Victoria 3156
AUSTRALIA

Telephone 03 9762 2616
International Telephone +61 (0) 3 9762 2616
Mobile 0405 220830
Website www.onthe.net.au/ecologysolutions