birding-aus

Beach Stone Curlews at Clairview Beach Central Queensland

Subject: Beach Stone Curlews at Clairview Beach Central Queensland
From: "desley williams" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:55:09 +0000

To Jon from Desley,    My hotmail provider will not recognise the above birding-aus address, would you kindly forward this message on to Birding Aus for me please.   Regards Desley

From Desley Williams a birder from Mackay North Queensland.

Whilst I was travelling to the Sunshine Coast a few weeks where I am spending 3 months visiting my brothers, I camped for 2 days at Clairview Beach Holiday Park, a beachfront budged priced caravan, cabin & camping park, including a campers kitchen, bar and meals..    Clairview Beach is also famous for its resident dugong and fishing.  The habitat is good for birding with beachfront mangroves, creeks, dune vegetation and eucalypt forests.    Highlight of my stay was the discovery of 6 (SIX) beach stone curlews; the first 3 were at the northern end feeding in beachfront mangroves.  I then drove the 4.5 km to the southern end (Clairview Beach Holiday Park); and walked to the creek at the  end of the park where I discovered another 3 which were resting in the beachfront mangroves.     As the first 3 were happily feeding at the northern end they could not have flown to t he southern end in the 10 minutes it took for me to reach the southern end so I am confident there are 6 birds there.      Other birds seen included:  Brush Turkey, Pelican, WF Heron, White Ibis, Brahminy Kite, Whistling Kite, Sea Eagle, Whimbrel, E. Curlew, Pied O/catcher, Caspian Tern, Peaceful Dove, Bar-shouldered Dove, Red-tailed Black Cockatoo, R. Lorikeet, PH Rosella, Coucal, Sacred Kingfisher, Bee-eater, WB scrubwren, Mangrove Gerygone, Striated Pardalote, Blue-faced, Lewins White-throated, Yellow, Brown & Dusky Honeyeaters, Rufous Whistler, Leaden Flycatcher, Grey Fantail, Willy Wagtail, Drongo, Varied Triller, Figbird, WB Woodswallow, Pied Butcherbird, Magpie, Currawong, Welcome Swallow, Double-bar Finch, Mistletoebird and Yellow bellied Sunbird.

I would highly recommend Clairview Beach Holiday Park as a stop-over for bird watching, fishing and relaxing en-route to North Queensland.   It is app. 130km south of Mackay and 210k north of Rockhampton.    It should be an excellent site for waders in the summer months.

Regards  Desley Williams

Birding-Aus is on the Web at www.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/birding/index.html To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message "unsubscribe birding-aus" (no quotes, no Subject line) to