birding-aus

More South West Adventures

To: "Sean Dooley" <>
Subject: More South West Adventures
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 19:28:54 +1000
Hi Sean

For many, the Western Shrike-tit is regarded as a seperate species to the Eastern (Crested) Shrike-tit and according to one of the Taxonomy lists. I have the Western Shrike-tit firmly on my life list along with the Western Fieldwren (that is a different bird to the Rufous Fieldwren). Regarding the Western Shrike-tit, its call is "very" different to the Eastern Shrike-tit, I can't see anyway the populations can interbreed and there are plumage differences. It is a very good "tick" to get. There appears to be no agreed taxonomy and the current one is debatable! But ofcourse it is upto you and your opinion on how you treat this species.

Keep on getting those good birds. I have enjoyed reading your twitch with much intrerest.

cheers!

Edwin