birding-aus

Bird winter bathing

To: <>
Subject: Bird winter bathing
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 10:22:44 +1100
Val and all,

Here in the Blue Mountains I also find that the birds do seem to bathe more
in winter, when the water in my birdbath is close to freezing (that is,
when it hasn't actually turned into a skating rink for rosellas!) and even
the daytime temperature often doesn't rise above 10 degrees.

I have always assumed that this is because in winter, it is more important
for birds to keep their feathers clean and well groomed in order to provide
better insulation against the cold.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets