birding-aus

A tale of two dams - Young NSW

Subject: A tale of two dams - Young NSW
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:58:00 +1000

Last weekend I was invited over to a friend’s property near Young (southern tablelands NSW) to survey a patch of woodland. He would like to apply for a heritage grant to enable some tree planting and wanted to know what, if any, threatened species he had on his property. There was much die back evident and this has been left as habitat for superb parrots, of which we saw one flying over.

On the way we stopped to have a look at one of his farm dams and I was amazed to see two freckled ducks upending on the dam and two black-tailed native hen standing on the shore. Also in occupation were 8 pink-eared duck, black-fronted dotterel, Australasian grebe and Eurasian coot. We later flushed a third B-t NH in some reeds.

Near the stand of woodland I surveyed, was a second dam about half a km from the first and the waterfowl was totally different from the first dam yet the dams were similar in size and water volumes. Species on the second included wood duck, pacific black duck, hardhead and grey teal, white faced heron and red-kneed dotterel. In fact the only species present at both locations were masked lapwings.

Is there an explanation for this?

Alastair Smith

Assistant Director

Law Enforcement Liaison