birding-aus

Rode NT4 Microphone

To: <>
Subject: Rode NT4 Microphone
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:13:47 +1000
Anyone out there doing nature sound recording who has used the Rode NT4
Stereo Condenser mic., and can comment on it - especially as to how it
stands humidity, which is sometimes a problem with otherwise excellent
microphones?

MusicLab in Brisbane are the most helpful commercial firm (of any sort of
business) that I've dealt with.  In a couple of days they fixed my 36 yr-old
Uher recorder to satisfy my whim to record an Albert's Lyrebird in the same
place and with the same recorder and Uher mic where I made my first lyrebird
recording on 22.06.68.  (Wish me luck for tomorrow morning!)

 And when I was collecting the Uher, MusicLab volunteered the advice that
the NT4 is an excellent mic, and modestly priced for such high quality.
With such a recommendation from MusicLab, I sit up and take notice.

Be glad of any advice

Syd Curtis in Brisbane.

For anyone with the technical knowledge to understand (which I lack!) these
are the NT4 specifications in the leaflet:

Acoustic principle: Stereo Mic. 90 degreeXY placement.  Each side comprises
an externally polarised single diaphragm condenser transducer.
Capsule size:   0.5" (13mm)
Active electronics: JFET impedance converter with bipolar output buffer
Directional Response    Cardioid (see graph)
[Sorry; I can't reproduce the graph.]
Output impedance:   200 ohms per side
Frequency response:     20Hz to 20 kHz (see graph)
                1 Pa = 94dBSPL
Equivalent noise:   <16dBSPL, (A-weighted per IEC268-15)
Maximum output:     +13.9dBu @ 1% THD into 1k_
Dynamic Range:  >128 dB
Maximum SPL:    143 dB @ 1% THD into 1k_
Signal/Noise Ratio :    78dB
Power requirements:     4mA, P48 (38V-52V) 2.8 mA (P24 (20V-26V)
                    2.8mA P12 (10.8V-13.2V) 2.4mA using 9V battery
Packed weight:  2.3 kg (Mic. only 480g)

(Not being a net surfer, I haven't checked www.rodemicrophones.com.)