birding-aus

Regent Honeyeater Park???

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Regent Honeyeater Park???
From: Laurie&Leanne Knight <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:20:13 +1000
I suspect David Geering is quite familiar with the Turon National Park and may
present a full overview in due course ...

http://abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s583453.htm

Monday, June 17, 2002. Posted: 12:33:34 (AEDT)
New central west national park planned
Central west NSW is to get a new national park.

The State Minister for the Environment, Bob Debus, used a weekend visit to the
region to announce the 3,000 hectare Turon National Park in the Lithgow
district.

The new park will protect rare species, including the regent honeyeater, which
has a stronghold in the neighbouring Capertee Valley.

The streams of the park are also home to the endangered boorolong frog.

But Mr Debus says the park also has Wiradjuri Aboriginal sites and
non-Aboriginal heritage values.

"It will also protect many relics from the middle of the 1850s when the Turon
was one of our major goldfields," he said.

Mr Debus says even though the area will now be a national park, a hermit-like
squatter called "River Ron", who has called it home for many years, will be
allowed to stay.

"The parks service has I think quite properly...decided that it would be quite
unreasonable [to remove him] since this man is now quite elderly and has a very
small impact on the environment, [and he] should be permitted to stay there,"
he said.

"It's as if we're regarding him as part of the heritage."