birding-aus

Re: BIRDING-AUS RENs ~~~ Hear Hear young Russell

Subject: Re: BIRDING-AUS RENs ~~~ Hear Hear young Russell
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 01:53:38 -0700 (PDT)
Hear! Hear! and well said young Russell! are the
Ozzies
revolting? if so potters off to run a bath.

Where's the romance in birding gone or going? psssst I
think I've just taken thee best ever photo of nesting
preparations ever? when I get it back I'll hopefully
let all know.

A Sad JAG de Whag
Russell Woodford <>
wrote:

Wasn't there a ballot about 10 years ago to decide
some of the more contentious "recommended english
names"?  As an RAOU member I was included in the
voting - were BOCA members as well?

Anyway, that seemed the basis for dropping things like
Origma, Hylacola and Calamanthus in favour of the
habitat-oriented "wren" names.  I prefer the former
names because they are so distinctive. Perhaps we
should have bitten the bullet and opted for the
original names  - those used by the Aussies who were
here first. I know that would still require a lot of
debate and opting for one name over others, but I
think that once we'd chosen appropriate names for
indigenous species then they might have more general
acceptance. Nobody is going to stop people calling
Crested Pigeons "Topknots" (my Grandmother did) but
eventually we might get published lists standardised.
Of course, we would still be bound to RENs used by
North Americans and Brits for species belonging to
worldwide families, but how nice would it be to stop
labelling our maluridae "Wrens", etc?

Any idea when we're going to have another ballot over
this????!!!

Russell
---
Russell Woodford