birding-aus

Leica digimax camera

To: "Bester, Adam" <>
Subject: Leica digimax camera
From: David Burren <>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 14:13:08 +1000
> From: "Bester, Adam" <>
> Subject: [BIRDING-AUS] Leica digimax camera
> Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:15:00 +1000
>
> Hi all.  A colleague of mine is considering purchasing a scope with photo
> adaptor and wondering what the quality of photos are like using a Leica
> apochromatic lens (with 20-60x eyepiece) with a Leica digimax camera. Does
> anyone have experience with such equipment, or know of any alternatives?

You can get results with this gear in a variety of ways.  Some
people use digicams such as the Nikon Coolpix 995 hooked up to a
variety of scopes with excellent results.
You can find examples at
        http://coolpixpage.com/
and at Ann Cook's bird photography pages at
        http://www.birdsofmanitoba.com/homeinst.htm
I'd describe Ann as a master of the art.

You can get "T-mount" adapters for many scopes, and then matching
T-mount adapters are available for most if not all 35mm SLR cameras.
Leica have an adapter for their Televid 77 which converts it into
the equivalent of an 800mm/f10.4 lens.  I've seen excellent results
with a D30 digital SLR.

Leica's new Digilux 1 camera has an adapter available to hook up
to a Televid 77 (I gather it's effectively a different "eyepiece"
instead of the 20x-60x) and you'll see prices for this in the latest
catalogue from The Birding Shop.  Because the sensor in the Digilux
is smaller than a 35mm negative the effective field of view of the
rig is reduced, apparently equivalent to a 2000mm lens on a 35mm
camera.

However, the Digilux won't hit the shelves for at least a few weeks
so it's hard to provide feedback on it yet.  I'm apparently getting
my hands on one with a scope next week to review.  I know a few
readers of birding-aus are interested in this, so I'll be letting
you know the results when I can.
__
David Burren
http://burren.cx/photo/