birding-aus

Regent Honeyeater & Swift Parrot workshop

Subject: Regent Honeyeater & Swift Parrot workshop
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:23:45 +1000
Following on from the success of workshops held in Mudgee and Coffs
Harbour we are holding another Regent Honeyeater/Swift Parrot workshop atC
 essnock in the Hunter Valley on Saturday 29 June.

The Mudgee and Coffs Harbour workshops have been big hits with rave
reviews from the 80 people that have been to these two workshops (35 at
Mudgee and 45 at Coffs).  At Coffs we had people come from as far afield
as Armidale, Brisbane and Port Macquarie while at Mudgee they came from
Jervis Bay, Sydney, Canberra and Baradine!

The workshops are not just about surveys.  There is LOTS of information
about the birds themselves and how to find them.  The workshops are been
conducted by myself (Regent Honeyeaters), Debbie Saunders (Swift Parrots),C
 hris Tzaros (Threatened Bird Network, Birds Aust) and Alison Colyer
(Threatened Species Network, WWF).

We'll provide you with a workshop folder as well as lunch &
morning/afternoon tea.  All you need to bring is your enthusiasm and
binoculars (the day is FREE).

The workshop is aimed at providing feedback to those who already count
Regents and Swifties each year, and information and training to those whow
 ould like to participate in future surveys.
-  Report back on results of last year's surveys & recovery activities
-  How crucial volunteers are to the recovery process
-  Illustrated talk by Recovery Team members, David Geering (Regent
Honeyeater) & Debbie Saunders (Swift Parrot), who study the ecology of
these birds and coordinate the surveys
-  Training on identification of Regent Honeyeaters and Swift Parrots andt
 heir habitats
-  Training on field data recording including the use of GPS/map reading

Given the boom the coast is having in regards Regents and Swifties I thinkt
 his an opportunity not to be missed.

For catering purposes we ask people to register (the food on our other twow
 orkshops was worth coming for alone!!).   To register, or get further
information, please e-mail Chris Tzaros at
 r reply to me and I will pass it on.

Cheers

David

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.